Frøslevlejren - et besøg tilbage i tiden
Frøslevlejren - Frøslev Camp - was built as a German
internment camp in 1944 during the German
occupation of Denmark and is today one of Europe’s
best preserved German prison camps.
Frøslevlejren • 1944-1945
From the fall of 1943, the occupying power deported
more and more Danes to German prison camps - despite
protests from the Danish Government. During
negotiations with the German occupying power in
1944, the Danish government suggested to build an
internment camp on Danish soil to prevent, more
Danes were deported to other countries. Several thou-
sand Danes were in the camp as Germany’s prisoners.
Even though the camp was built to prevent the deportation
of Danish prisoners to the German concentration
camps, around 1.600 prisoners from Frøslevlejren
- against all agreements - were deported to the
terrifying concentration camps around Germany.
Faarhuslejren • 1945-1949
Immediately after the German capitulation on May 5,
1945, Frøslevlejren was emptied for prisoners - just to
be filled with new ones immediately after that. There
was an immediate need for interment possibilities
for the many Danes, who were accused of treason
by the resistance movement. The many barracks in
Frøslevlejren were useful for this - and the camp was
renamed Fårhuslejren and were used for the traitors
or “snitches”, as they were also called. Fårhuslejren became
the largest prison for traitors in Denmark.
About 5.000 people were imprisoned in Fårhuslejren
in the period from the liberation of Denmark until
the camp was shut down in October 1949. Most of
the prisoners came from the German minority in
Southern Jutland - around 3.000 persons. Fårhuslejren
was shut down in 1949, as most of the traitors had
endured their punishments.
Padborglejren • 1949-1984
The Danish army took over the camp in November
1949. It was to be converted into barracks and was
renamed Padborglejren. From 1968-1975 Padborglejren
was used as barracks by the Danish Civilian De-
fense. After that, the camp was used as a depot for
hospital material for the defense. Allegedly, the camp
would have been demolished, if Frøslevlejren’s Museum
had not been established in 1963.
Frøslevlejren • 1984-today
In 1984, the County of Southern Jutland and Bov Commune
formed The Self Owning Institution Frøslevlejren.
The purpose was to renovate the buildings in the camp
and preserve it as a historical memorial from World War
II. The Danish State, which via a department owned the
camp area, gave The Self Owning Institution Frøslevlejren
the rights to use the area and the building - except Frø-
slevlejren’s Museum, which was owned by the Danish
The Self Owning Institution Frøslev-lejren rented out the
barracks for various schools, exhibitions, and companies.
In 2004, The Union of Danish Export Haulers left
the camp as the last renters.
In 1999, a bill was submitted in the Danish parliament
to establish a national memorial park in Frøslevlejren.
Overall, the bill suggested, the memorial park - beside
Frøslevlejren’s Museum - only should be used for museum
operations and other cultural events that can function
in respect for the memorial park. The bill was not voted
through, but passed on to Cultural Affairs, who had to
find a solution with political support.
The solution was found in 2001 after thorough discus-
sions between all the involved parties. 1,5 million DKK
was earmarked to establish a memorial park in the
area. A lot of trees were cut down, the original paths
were re-established, light masts and signs were changed
with the originals, the old barbed wire fences and
dismantled buildings marked in the terrain, and last,
but not least, all parking places were dismantled and
re-established outside the memorial.
Today, the original camp is more visible and marks the
history of the camp from 1944-1945.
The regular exhibitions of the museum are found in
the camps main guard tower and in one of the previous
prisoner barracks. Both buildings are original
from 1944. I the main guard tower, the exhibition
tells about the political background for the building
of the camp, the history of the buildings, the German
surveillance and management of the camp
and the Danish penitentiary’s role in the camp.
In the old prisoner barracks the exhibition displays
the daily life in the camp for the prisoners. It also
shows the conditions in the German concentration
camps, where about 1.600 prisoners from Frøslevlejren
were deported to.
In Frøslevlejren’s Museum, you have the possibility
to book a tour or lecture about the history of
Frøslevlejren. Both the tour and lecture have a duration
of about 50 minutes.
Read more at: www.natmus.dk/museer-og-slotte/