THE KIRKBI FUNDAMENTALS PART 1
ANNUAL REPORT 2017 | 15 |
”My vision with the LEGO House is to create
the ultimate LEGO experience, which
truly unfold the endless possibilities and
opportunities that the LEGO brick and the
LEGO System in Play have to offer. And to
gather all these experiences in one house
– the Home of the Brick.
Furthermore, in my family we would like to
share the story about how the LEGO products
have developed and how the LEGO Group has
grown during our 85 years of history.
Kjeld Kirk Kristiansen,
3rd generation LEGO Group owner, in his speech at
the LEGO House opening ceremony, September 2017.
THE ORIGIN OF THE KIRKBI NAME
The company name KIRKBI reflects the family
ownership and heritage as it is a combination of the
family name ‘Kirk’ and the city ‘Billund’ in Denmark.
In 1932, Ole Kirk Kristiansen started making wooden
toys in his workshop in Billund, Denmark, and from
1934, he sold them as LEGO® toys. Today, KIRKBI
owns 75 % of the LEGO Group. The remaining 25 % is
owned by the LEGO Foundation.